Friday, June 14, 2013

Man of Steel - Superman

I am still wondering why they named the movie man of steel... Was it because that the word Superman is a bit cheesy? Overused? Or fear that the movie reception will not be good? 

Title and names aside, the overall movie was not too bad. The story progression and background was a very brave thing to do. In most movie these days especially it revolves around a superhero, we either often get bluffed by the director totally amending the story or it would be too draggy, or long winded. Think of Ang Lee's Incredible Hulk. I have to say, it was painful. 

Man in steel does a very good background check on Supermans origin, his search for humanity and hope as well as finding fit in earth gives the audience a good reality check how the superhero become who he is today. Genius to have scenes and sequences roll between Kal, Clark Kent and Young Clark Kent. But who will expect less of Christopher Nolan's work right? CN was not the director but a producer who probably influenced  the story flow

Althought I think Amy Adams did a great job in acting, I somehow felt she is not the Lois Lane of my expectation. The image of Teri Hatcher acting as Ms Lane in the Superman TV series didn't quite help me to ease into Amy's role. I felt she was a bit too short, a bit too shy, doesn't quite look like someone Superman would fall in love with and the hair is way just too ... Em ... Not Lois. Not doing it for me. 

The sound effects of the movie was the big winner for me. The music and how sound was used throughout to build suspense and drama - purely thumbs up for me. The scene where Johnathan Kent, played by Kevin Costner who was swept away by the tornado refusing his son to reveal his gifted talent was touching. I had tears circling. It was very emotional to see the sacrifice one will and can make to protect. It was in the eyes. I tell you, these actors are good with their eyes.

The clever part of having a "lex corp" oil tanker blow up during the fight between superman and zod was like a teaser to introduce lex luthor perhaps in a sequel? 

And with the ending of having him put on the infamous black frame glasses was a huge turn on. Good way to end the movie.

I wouldn't say it was like the best superhero comic adaptation movie I watched for the year, since ironman 3 was a strong contender but I highly recommend this movie. After all, how bad can the movie be with the main actor who is a hunky handsome charming lad in modern tight fitting fighting suit w his famous cape? Lol




No comments:

Post a Comment