Thursday, March 28, 2013

Accidents are no joke

Driving on the highway has become a normality for me. Living 330km south these days, and having the nature of my job to meet clients at their HQ back in the city - one usually finds a black x-trail cruising (or occasionally speeding) on the highway. It was the usual after hours drive back yesterday and some flashes of thoughts came across my mind while driving. As the radio was blasting with music from my ipod, I asked myself - why do people drive so dangerously. That thought triggered after I saw a car (probably 20 years old) was speeding at 140km/p and above, swaying right and left, doing dangerous cornering and all.

For a short moment I thought, that car is gonna crash and the driver will be safe. Unfortunately for the other road users, some other victim is going be the one who is really hurt.

Then, I saw 3 busses trailing each other at high speed and was trying to overtake each other. Many cars maneuvers for safety. I did as well. As much as I was into dramatic action-packed explosion scenes, having to see busses doing somersault was not part of my wish list

Lastly, cars who trail very near to your bump was the final call. I always have this "naughty" feeling to just jam break and let the car run into you. But after the accident earlier this month, having someone who is driving probably around 60km/p on a normal road, banging into your car was no joke. I was thrown front so hard, so fast, so powerful and backwards, the one second ordeal resulted neckache for days and cars wrecked beyond moving. Thank god for the seat belt, else you can find me somewhere probably still strapped on a sick bed.

With most drivers who is on the extreme right lane at about 110km/p, I rather not have the naughty feeling thinking of the consequences and impact of how probably just a slight in-tact will look like.

Can't help but see car swinging from the extreme right lane to the middle, causing the a car carrying a happy family returning to the city after their awesome vacation outstation immediately trying to avoid the clash, swinging into under a trailer running at the left lane and the feeling of sudden stroke of fear following by the noise of screeching tyre, brakes and honks. The unfolding sound of metals which carry weight of guilt and death can only be the matter of another accident just literally kills me

I know how nasty a simple accident on the road can get from my experience. I recognize the agony and pain one goes through witnessing cries of an post highway accident from my dad's experience. But what I cannot understand is why other drivers cannot feel the same, the responsibility towards others when it comes safety ethics

This post will not make the difference in road safety in Malaysia. That's for sure, as our government and drivers lack the fundamental of social education and ethics. But I shall make that difference in my own family, friends, loved ones and acquaintances by sharing my horrifying accident both from my own and dads to remind them how dangerous roads can be

No comments:

Post a Comment